Friday, February 22, 2013

another nugget of wisdom

Sometimes I'm lost in thought and something I wrote will come back to me. At those moments it's like I wrote those words so they could be stored away in my mind only to pop out when I need to hear them the most. I had that experience today walking across campus toward the library. I'm job hunting right now and I may be leaving this area soon. I've been here for nearly six years and I briefly thought about all the people who have come and gone from my life in that period of time, how each has shaped and changed me.

And I wondered, why in the hell did I come here? This place is so off the beaten path. It may someday seem like a non sequitur, with no connection to my past, present or future. But these could end up being the most pivotal six years of my life in terms of who I have become while living here.

Then I remembered a line spoken by the character Pawel in Mountains Wanted:


You know, I believe people are placed in your path for a reason. They're either there for you to learn something from or for you to teach. If you're lucky, it's both.

I think I've done my fair share of learning and teaching here. It will be interesting to see if the lessons are through or if I still have more work to do. Time will tell.

 

2 comments:

  1. That statement above is one of the best ways to view life in general. A person should never let something that was possibly a negative stay that way but turn it into a positive. Every encounter, everything you do in life can be a learning experience if you allow it to be. The problem is that today, too many people have the 'blinders' on, and they are too hyper-focused on one thing, completely missing everything else.

    When you run across those type of people in general they are the ones that are never happy with anything going on in their life. If you can get them to just step out of that 'comfort zone' that they have and look at things in a different light, they would be amazed at what they would see.

    The way it sounds to me, there were many wonderful reasons you have been where you are at for the last 6 years. I'm sure if you sat down and wrote out a list of both the positive and negative, AND what you have learned from them you would have an awesome list of accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and true. One question would be how do you know the difference and when do you decide when its time to move on.

    willingtofill

    ReplyDelete