Thursday, May 30, 2013

an update

I haven't posted for a few days so I thought you might wonder what I was up to. The summer season is officially up and running and the weather has decided to get with the program, so it's been hot and humid. I spent all day Tuesday and Tuesday night with my lover and you could say life imitated art again because I sort of re-enacted the scene where Sarah pegs Garrett with my feeldoe.

(Don't know what a feeldoe is? Google it. If nothing else, reading my blog should be an educational experience. ;))

My lover also caught up on the book and read chapters 9, 10, 11. He kept getting distracted by the sex scenes though so we'd have to take a break. Overall he liked what he read. He had some good suggestions about the scene where James is reflecting back over the year on New Year's Eve on the base. I could never write about James' deployment without my lover's help. I think I've found a good balance between making it realistic and being able to get into James' head but not providing so much detail as to bore readers who don't want to read a war book.

So I'm writing Chapter 12 right now and that's the part where Rachel has her baby. The labor and delivery is being broadcast for Sarah's Human Sexuality course and the students are live tweeting throughout with a specific hashtag. It kind of adds an interesting element I think. I'm probably not going to be able to get my lover to read that chapter in much detail as he's pretty squeamish about birth-type stuff.  Since I've had quite a few male readers I kind of wonder what others will think about the chapter. Or if women might be squeamish about it too?

What do you guys think?


4 comments:

  1. Rachel has a baby?!? :O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not really a spoiler! If you finished Mountains Wanted, you know she was pregnant at the end of it :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I know what a Feeldoe is (I have that pic you posted once at the other place, just have yet to experience one...
    AS far as squeamish,,,,not so much

    Mountains Wanted has been an Excellent book so far Phoebe (though I'm a bit slow at reading it)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what a Feeldoe is (though I've yet to experience one) and I remember your discussion at the "other place" about them.
    Plenty of people are squeamish, about many different things, sometimes the words can be more graphic than a picture


    Thank you again Phoebe for such a great book

    ReplyDelete