Monday, May 27, 2013

the p word and art imitating life...or maybe the other way around

I have written an absolutely incredible amount in the past week. Like my lover/partner said, I've finally gotten into a rhythm. The exact same thing happened with Mountains Wanted but I think it was more like Chapter 13 or 14 when it happened. I just finished Chapter 11 last night and am all ready to begin Chapter 12 today. I also firmed up my outline today and am feeling really good about a release date of 7-7 for Mountains Climbed.

Chapter 11 offered me an interesting opportunity to explore the potential pitfalls of polyamory. For the first time, my main character Sarah used the P word as a label for her and Garrett's relationship. I'm not going to go into too many details so as not to spoil the plot but there was a disagreement and Sarah sort of let him have it. Strangely enough, although this part of the storyline had been outlined way prior to this weekend, I had a not too dissimilar argument with my lover/partner, with whom I also have an open relationship. Last night on the phone we had it out and some of what I said to him was almost word for word what Sarah said to Garrett in Chapter 11. Kinda blew my mind a little. And to think I thought he was the James character. I guess there is some Garrett in him after all.

But here's the deal, for anyone interested in polyamory or open relationships, they are not for those who don't know themselves. Although openness, honesty and transparency between the parties involved is critical, anyone who is lying to him or herself or who is afraid to be their genuine self is not going to be successful in the lifestyle.

Having said all that, I sure wish life would imitate art when it comes to the ending of my book, but that's another story for another day...one we'll get to in about seven chapters.


No comments:

Post a Comment