Friday, July 5, 2013

Rachelisms

I may have mentioned before that I have a difficult time maintaining close friendships with women. I have some theories about why this may be that I'm not going to go into today (maybe some other time.) But I have been thinking about Sarah and Rachel's relationship as I work through editing Mountains Climbed. Rachel is a bit of a conglomeration of female friends I have had.

I did especially like this passage:

“I said I’d consider it,” Sarah shot back. “We’re talking. I just didn’t think it would be a good idea for me to see him.”

“Because you still love him?” Abby guessed.

Sarah felt her skin beginning to glow, involuntarily responding to the veracity of her daughter’s conjecture. She glared at Rachel as if she expected her friend to jump in and save the day. “Oh, Sarah, Sarah, Sarah,” Rachel finally admonished her. “Don’t you know? Talking leads to seeing....and seeing leads to fucking.”

Rachel is very much "a say what's on her mind" type person, which I very much appreciate.  There's another passage where Sarah mentions that Rachel's mantra for healing after a breakup is "The best way to get over a man is to get under another one."

During Rachel's pregnancy she is forced to be on bedrest. Sarah worries about her being able to stay down, to which Rachel replies: "When have I had a problem staying horizontal?"

Have you ever had a friend who was painfully blunt like Rachel? 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment