Monday, June 16, 2014

the weekend that changed everything

One year ago today, at about this time at night, maybe a little later, I was wrapping up Mountains Climbed. I was sitting in a hotel room in Asheville, North Carolina, in the mountains after spending the day at the Biltmore Estate. My partner was hundreds of miles away in Florida with his "other" girlfriend, the one that he had been engaged to shortly before I had met him.

Many of you know this story, but it bears repeating. As I was writing a Happily Ever After for James and Sarah in Mountains Climbed, he was choosing me over her, a choice I didn't think he would ever make. I fully expected him to come home from Florida and tell me that she was moving in with him in a month or two. But instead, when I picked him up at the airport on June 18th, he told me that they broke up. I later learned it was because he had chosen me.

Everything snowballed from there and within two months, I was packing my things to move in with him. I know we've had a lot of ups and downs in this 9 months that we've cohabitated. But I can't help but think we're just out-growing our growing pains.Every day I feel we are stronger. Every day I feel a little more like we are headed down the right path.

No one will ever be able to convince me that Mountains Wanted and Mountains Climbed weren't in some way responsible for bringing us closer together. He read every single word as I was writing, offering me feedback and insight. He hasn't read more than a few chapters of either of my most recent releases, by the way. The spell seemed to just work for MW and MC. And maybe that's all we needed. Just that little push to help us see it was meant to be.

Do you believe in the power of words? Do you believe a story can seal two people's destinies?

I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment