Monday, December 3, 2012

gestating book 2

Book 2 is underway now.

I know, I know, I still haven't decided what to do with Book 1.  I'm really hoping for an epiphany, although I have found that hoping or waiting for such is a surefire way to keep it from happening.  When will I learn?

I haven't gotten that burning urge to write, that urge that is so strong that words are just spilling out of me.  Erupting.  I guess I'm waiting for that too.

I've been in discussion with my collaborator quite a bit about the direction of various characters.  We've done a lot of talking about where the main character's daughter is going to go this book.  That's because I wanted to leave an opening to do a third book focusing on her.  My collaborator now thinks I will have to do a third book but I will see.  I have another project I want to tackle after Book 2.

I've also been thinking a lot about war and deployments and soldiers since the male main character is an officer in the Army and deployed to Afghanistan at the start of Book 2.  It's all such a foreign concept to me.  I'm getting help from various sources to write those parts.  My collaborator asked me what I want the audience to think of him and I want them to think he's a hero, and to forgive him for breaking the main character's heart.  But we'll see where it goes.

I'm also thinking a lot about the main character's new love interest in Book 2.  So many directions that could take...starting to formulate where the erotic scenes will happen.  I think Book 2 will have fewer erotic scenes overall but they will be more intense and less vanilla.  I'll leave that open to your interpretation.

I guess I feel like I'm going to shape this novel but a lot of it is going to happen just the way it's meant to be, which is why I still feel like gestation is good analogy for writing a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment